The brief for the sixth module of the City and Guild L3 in Machine Embroidery is to develop a free choice item using utility stitches in a decorative way based on the Line portfolio produced for Module 1. I decided that I would make a waistcoat for my husband, who is a musician for a Lancashire Clogging side called Oakenhoof (you can find them at http://www.cloggin.co.uk). I wanted to use Celtic and woodland themes and so designed a waistcoat which would be quilted using a wood bark pattern and then have an image of a Green Man appliqued on the back.
I designed the face of a Green Man to the size needed for the waistcoat. I created a line copy and a full colour version of the design. I placed the line copy under a sheet of thin muslin so that the lines were visible and, following roughly the coloured copy, applied fabrics in the corresponding colours. I adhered the fabric initially with temporary fabric spray glue. When all the leaves were eventually glued into place I adhered all the edges using a flexible fabric glue. During construction I tried to use fabrics which would give the effect of a light source coming from the left as you look at the image.
I then cut out the waistcoat including a cotton interlining. I joined at the shoulders and then quilted all over in a wood bark pattern which I learned from Lori Kennedy at The Inbox Jaunt.
After constructing the fabric collage of the green man entirely, I cut down the muslin backing so that it would not show and appliqued it to the back of the waistcoat. As I wanted it to appear as if the light source was coming from the left (as you look at it) I covered the right half in black tulle to intensify the darker colours on the opposite side. I used utility and automatic stitches to applique the leaves to the piece including stretch stitch, zig-zag and a scalloped stitch. Once the applique was finished I applied the collar and lining and finished the waistcoat.
The finished waistcoat was worn to our local Rushbearing Festival and I was really happy that a few people asked me about it and how it was done!
The samples following were also produced for this module, and I hope including them might be helpful for people doing this course.
Next module is dyeing and a wall hanging…bye for now!